dinsdag 7 april 2009

Postcard subgenre presentation


Dear Lisa,

I survived my sailing trip around the world and I am so glad to be home again. It was thrilling, but I encountered so many dangers that this was a once in a lifetime experience. I tried to write my own travel story like Captain Joshua Slocum did and I hope it will be published very soon.

En route I met two girls Lonneke and Rosalie and they were reading very interesting books; “In the merde of love”, “Talk to the snail” and “An Englishman amoureux”. The central theme in all books are the cultural differences between the British and the French. They told me that those books were also examples of travel stories and I was surprised to hear that. I presumed that my story about true survival on sea was the way a travel story ought to be, but there are different styles in the category travel writing I didn’t know about.

I think it is a wonderful idea for my next journey to write a witty story and to create a little humor, because that is something I wouldn’t normally do. I always thought that a travel story had to contain practical and accurate information that is useful to the reader and that the writer has to put in some anecdotes, quotations or a good dialogue to express the experiences. I have never thought of writing a comical story. From this new point of view I will start my next story with a lively and fun tone and add more comical events.

Love,
Julia

1 opmerking: