maandag 23 maart 2009

Postcard from Sicily


Dear Britta,

How are you? I’m writing this postcard from Sicily. Here I am, on Mount Etna and I am literally freezing. I totally forgot that it is much colder when you’re high on a mountain than when you’re in a village at the bottom. I’m sitting here in a small restaurant to write this postcard and to warm myself up with a lovely cup of tea. If you want to climb mount Etna in shorts you really should reconsider your trip.

Etna is actually the largest active volcano in Europe with a circumference of 140 kilometres and it is 3329 meters high. Did you know that Mount Etna is in an almost constant state of eruption? It’s fascinating and it’s pretty scary if you’re standing here and see smoke coming out of one of it’s highest craters. The land on Sicily is very fertile, because of the volcanic eruptions and it supports the agriculture, vineyards and fruit cultivation.

These are very interesting facts of course, but that doesn’t stop me from freezing here. You must be laughing while reading this. Well, I have another funny story for you. A few days ago I went on a boat trip and the colours of the sea were so beautiful so it was very tempting to jump into the blue water. Heroic as I am I dove into the water and I yelled at my sister to do the same thing. I felt that somebody or something was touching my ass. I turned around but I didn’t see anything even though I felt there was something tickling my buttock. The tickling became worse and suddenly it started to hurt really badly. I realized there was a jellyfish attached to my butt and I started to scream and to knock it off. All people on the boat thought it was very amusing, but they have no idea how painful it is. So never jump into the water before you checked the safety of it.

Well, I am all warmed up now, so I will continue hiking on mount Etna. See you in a few days.

Love,
Julia

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten